How to Make Aunt Dot's Fudge
- In a heavy 4 qt. pot, bring to a boil the sugar, butter and milk. Then cut the heat back to medium and cook to the soft-ball stage. ( when a teaspoon full of the mixture is dropped into cold water, you can press it together to form a soft ball)
- Stir in the vanilla and chocolate chips.
- Beat with a hand mixer or by hand with a whisk until it looses the shine on the surface. Fold in the nuts.
- Pour onto a cookie sheet to cool. Slice into 1 inch pieces. Can be frozen for a month so so easily. Store with parchment paper between the layers.
- This recipe can easily be changed to other flavors by substituting other chips. Peanut butter, white chocolate, butterscotch. White chocolate is really good with cherries ( pretty too ). I use the candied cherries like you use for fruit cake. Maraschino cherries do not work, they are too juicy.