·non stick cooking spray
1 (12 oz)loaf pound cake
6 ozbittersweet chocolate (chopped)
2 cchilled whipping cream
1/2 tsppure almond extract
1/4 cpowdered sugar
1/2 csliced almonds, toasted, coarsely crumbled
·unsweetened cocoa powder
How to Make Zuccotto
- Spray a 1/2-quart Bowl(I use a glass bowl)with non stick spary. Line bowl with plastic wrap, making sure inside of bowl is covered, it should only take 2 sheets laying them across each other and you have plastic wrap hanging over sides of the bowl.
- Cut the Pound Cake in 1/3 inch thick slices then cut each slice diagnolly inhalf. Line the bottom and sides of the bowl with the cake Triangles side by side touching.It maybe a snug fit for what you get in there. Brush some Brandy over Cake Triangles in the bowl. Reserve extra cake Traingles.
- Stir bittersweet Chocolate in Large Metal Bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. Allow Chocolate to cool slightly. While Chocolate cools, Using a electric mixer, Beat 1 Cup of Cream in another bowl until thick and fluffy.
- Fold 1/4 of whipped cream into the Chocolate, then fold in half of the remaining whipped cream into the choclate mixture, now fold in the rest of the remaing whipped cream.
- Spread the chocolate Cream over the cake in the bowl making sure to cover completely and creating a well in the center of the mixture. Cover and Refrigerate if not assembling cake right away.
- In a Large bowl add remaining 1 cup of Cream and Almond extract, Using a electric mixer beat on medium speed and gradually add powdered Sugar. Beat until firm peak forms. Fold in nuts and spoon Cream Mixture into the Well.
- Brush the remaining Triangel cake slices with Brandy and arrange them Brandy side down making sure all the filling is completely covered and trimming to fit. Fold plastic wrap that is hanging over the sides of the bowl over the cake covering it completely and Refrigerate atleast 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- When you remove the cake from the Refrigerator uncover and invert cake onto a platter. Remove the bowl and plastic wrap. Sift cocoa powder over and serve. Make sure to cover with plastic wrap and store remaining Cake in the Refrigerator.