Traditional Southern Caramel Cake
Maggie May Schill
FOR CARAMEL CAKE
3 ccake flour
1 1/2 Tbspbaking powder
1/4 ccaramel syrup
1/2 cunsalted butter, room temperature
1 cwhole milk
3 largeeggs, room temperature
2 Tbsppure vanilla extract
FOR BROWN BUTTER FROSTING
1 cunsalted butter, room temperature
4 cconfectioner's sugar
1/2 cheavy cream, cold
1 Tbsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Traditional Southern Caramel Cake
- Preheat oven to 375'F
Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, line each with a parchment paper round. Spray again over parchment rounds.
Set pans aside.
- Beat butter in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add sugar to butter mixture and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Beat syrup into the butter mixture until completely incorporated. Add one egg at a time into batter, completely incorporating each before adding the next.
- In another large mixing bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- In a measuring cup pour out milk. Mix vanilla extract into the milk.
- Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating between flour and milk mixture; beginning and ending with flour mixture until both the flour and milk mixtures are complete incorporated into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between pans and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes our barely clean.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto wire wrack to finish cooling.
- For Frosting:
1- in a sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter until nutty brown. Be careful not to scorch. Immediately pour butter into a large glass mixing bowl. Let butter cool for 15-20 minutes.
2- With an electric mixer, mix in vanilla and salt.
3- Gradually add confectioner's sugar until completely incorporated. You will have a clumpy mess at this point.
4- With your mixer on low gradually at cream. Add more cream as needed to get desirable creamy frosting texture, but don't over do it, or you'll have a mess.
Level off any doming on the cooled caramel cakes. Place the first cake on a cake platter and frost the top of it. Stack the second on the first and frost entire cake as desired. I chose to garnish with extra caramel syrup.