Elaine's Sponge Cake
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/2 ccake flour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 1/2 csifted sugar
3/4 cegg whites (6)
1 tspcreme of tartar
1/2 cegg yolks (6)
1 tsplemon extract
How to Make Elaine's Sponge Cake
- Have ready an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Set oven to 375 degrees F. Sift flour before measuring.
- Measure sifted flour, baking powder, salt and 1 cup of sugar into a sifter and sift into a small mixing bowl.
- Combine egg whiles and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until soft mounds begin to form. Then add remaining 1/2 c. of sugar gradually, by sprinkling 2 tbsp at a time over whites and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not underbeat.
- Combine yolks, water and flavourings. Add to sifted dry ingredients and beat for 1/2 minute.
- Fold egg yolk mixture carefully into beaten egg whites until blended - about 40 folding strokes. (Do not stir or beat.)
- Pour batter into pan. Cut gently though batter to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake in moderate oven, 375 degrees F for about 35 minutes.
Cool cake in pan upside down for 1 to 2 hours. Then gently loosen the cake from the sides and center tube of the pan with a knife and gently pull out the cake.
- Serve plain or top with whipped cream and berries to garnish.