SUBSTITUTIONS CHART (Heart Healthy) by freda
May be worth Knowing, & Keeping.
Note: I may be adding to this List As I Learn More Reliable Substitutions.
- 1 cup of
- butter, can be replaced with same amt of margarine, or 3/4 cup polyunsaturated oil
- 1 Cup
- heavy cream, can be replaces with 1/3 cup oil or margarine with3/4 cup skim milk.
- 1 Cup
- whole milk, can be replaced with 1 cup skim, milk, or 1& milk or skim canned milk
- 1 Cup
- sour cream, can be replaced with 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt.
- hard shortenings, bacon fat, chicken fat, all can be replaced with soft margarine.
- 1 whole
- egg, can be replaces with 2 egg whites, or 1 egg equivilent egg substitute.
- 1 oz.baking chocolate, can be replaced with 3 tbs cocoa and 2 tbs margarine ( to lower sat. fat)
- regular mayonaise & miracle whip, replace with non-fat miracle whip, or combination of plain yogyrt with light mayonaise, or use light mayonaise sparingly.
- hard-type cheese, replace with part-skim milk, softer cheeses & 1% or 1 1/2% cottage cheese or skim ricotta.
- ice cream
- can be replaced with ice milk, non-fat frozen yogurt, non-fat ice cream, sorbet, sherbert, fruit ice, or ice pops.
- reg. oil bases salad dressings, can be replaced with fat-free, colesterol free brands, or made from scratch with acceptable oil
- Cream Soup
- cream soup base, can be replaced with 1%, non-fat, or powdered milk.
- croissants, rich dinner rolls, muffins, doughnuts, high-fat crackers, all can be replaced with, non-fat pretzils, lower-fat crackers, english muffins, rice & popcorn cakes, whole-grain breads, & rolls
- choose fresh, chicken, beef, pork,
- sweets, replace with fresh fruits, such as all melons, apples,grapes, & bananas
- replace with low salt, no salt, or spices
- replace with sugar substitutes, splenda, stevia, (read your lables for sodium)
- replace with cornstarch, flour, tapioca,
- Soup Base
- replace with home made, & frozen, or fat free, low sodium, salt free boulion bases
SUBSTITIONS, (HEART HEALTHY CHOICES)
How to Make SUBSTITUTIONS CHART (Heart Healthy) by freda
- 1Begin with Improving your Knowledge of sources of FAT, COLESTEROL, SUGAR, & SALT.
- 2NEXT; Learn about "SUBSTITUTIONS".
What food item will work just as well as the higher FAT, Higher SALT, and Higher Colesterol Item.
- 3Print and Keep this Chart Handy in your Kitchen Cabinet.