STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE, T's Way
- 1 qt
- fresh strawberries
- 1/2 c
- white granulated sugar, divided
- baker's joy or cooking oil spray for pan prep
- 2 c
- all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 c
- whole milk
- 1 stick
- salted butter (8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup), room temperature
- 2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 4 large
- 2 c
- white granulated sugar
- 1/2 gal
- vanilla bean ice cream
- whipped cream, aerosol or homemade (your choice)
- fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
FOR STRAWBERRY TOPPING: (SEE *NOTE)
*NOTE: TOPPING INGREDIENTS AMOUNTS ARE ENOUGH FOR SERVING AT LEAST HALF OF THE CAKE. DOUBLE TOPPING RECIPE IF SERVING WHOLE CAKE WITHIN 2 DAYS.
How to Make STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE, T's Way
- 2Place 1/3 cup of the sliced berries in small bowl; mash with a fork until consistency of jam; add half of the sugar (1/4 cup) & mix well; set aside.
- 3Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar to sliced berries; fold gently to combine; add the mashed berry mixture; fold in gently to combine.
- 4Cover and refrigerate.
- 6Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 8In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs & sugar until creamy; set aside.
- 9In small saucepan, over medium-low, heat milk and butter until butter is melted; remove from heat; stir in the vanilla extract.
- 10Add flour mixture to egg mixture; mix well by hand with sturdy spoon.
- 11Add hot milk mixture to batter; mix well with wooden spoon or other sturdy mixing implement. (It may look strange at this point & you may think you've done something wrong, but it will get mixed together, just continue to mix thoroughly.)
- 12Bake at 350ºF for 40-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 14To assemble the shortcakes: Remove strawberries from refrigerator; gently stir strawberries.