Romanian Honey Cake
A dense, rich honey cake best made 1 - 2 days in advance, covered and left to become more flavourful and slightly sticky. Serve each slice with a swipe of butter.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·2 1/2 cups flour
·1/4 tsp bicarb soda
·1 tsp ground cinnamon
·5 eggs at room temp
·1 cup brown sugar
·350g (11oz) warmed honey
·5 tb vegetable oil - not olive
How to Make Romanian Honey Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 170oC (350oF) and well grease and line a 20cm (8 in) square cake tin.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and bicarb into a large bowl that fits and electric mixer (or use a hand held mixer). Add the remaining ingredients and beat at a medium speed for 5 minutes remembering to scrape down the sides.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat down to 150oC (300oF) and continue cooking for a further hour.
- When tested the cake should not be over cooked, but the top should have a slight stickiness to it (but a skewer should come out clean). Cool in the tin for 20 minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Place in a cake tin (I use a tupperware cake storage container) for a day or two.
- After 24-48 hours, slice and serve with butter.