Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
12 oz(2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
2 cheavy (whipping) cream
2 call-purpose flour
2 cgranulated sugar
1 tspbaking soda
1/4 cunsweetened cocoa powder
1 c(2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 cplain yogurt or buttermilk
1 tspvanilla extract
·for garnish: chocolate curls (see note) and confectioner's sugar
How to Make Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
Put chocolate chips into a large (not plastic) bowl. Bring cream to a boil in a medium saucepan. Pour cream over chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to spread.
- Adjust racks to divide oven in thirds. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 8-inch layer cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment; grease parchment.
Mix flour, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Put water and cocoa powder into a saucepan. Add butter in small chunks. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and the butter melts.
- Pour over flour mixture and beat with whisk or electric mixer until blended.
- Beat in yogurt, eggs and vanilla until blended. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared pans. Stagger pans on oven racks and bake, switching position of pans once to ensure even layers, 25 - 30 minutes until a pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cakes on rack and peel off paper. Turn cakes right side up and cool completely.
- Place 1 layer on serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat with second layer. Spread remaining frosting over sides and top of cake.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, then dust with confectioner's sugar.
- NOTE FOR CURLS:
Hold a bar or square of semisweet chocolate in your hands until barely softened. Slowly and firmly pull a swivel blade vegetable peeler across chocolate to make curls.