Marti's Signature Berries & Cream Angel Food Cake
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 large
- angel food cake from bakery or baked from mix
- 2 c
- 3 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tsp
- orange liqueur or your preference of flavor
- I can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk (have chilled before use)
- 2/3 c
- lemon or key lime juice ( may need to add additional lemon juice-must add enough to thicken milk to a stand alone consistency)!
- 10 Tbsp
- fine granulated sugar
- 1 pt
- strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries or mix if you like
How to Make Marti's Signature Berries & Cream Angel Food Cake
- 1Wash and stem strawberries. Chop approximately I cup into quarters if berries are medium size. If extra large chop into eighths. Halve remainder, sprinkle chopped with small amount of the sugar.. Taste after they sit for sweetness..take into account these are going into sweetened condensed milk mixture and will not require a lot of sweetener.
- 2Mix sweetened condensed milk with lemon juice and let set in refrigerator while finishing topping.
- 3Whip cold whipping cream until thick, adding liqueur just as cream begins to form peaks. Once cream forms stiff peaks it is ready to be used to frost cake. Take care not to over whip or you will have the beginning of butter!
- 4Take the cake and carefully slice about a 2 1/2 inch round from the top. Hollow out the inside of the bottom of the cake that is left being careful to leave a thick enough wall both on the outside and inside to hold the gooey filling.
Cake should be prepared on cake server. Keep in mind this cake has to be refrigerated.
- 5Mix chopped berries in the condensed milk , crumbled pieces of cake removed from the inside of the cake and chopped strawberries. This serves as the filling for the well you created in the cake.
- 6Place the circle you removed from the top of the cake back on cake. Cake should look whole again. It doesn't matter if some of the filling is dripping .
- 7Now for the final step:
Take the whipped cream and frost the cake. Decorate the top with strawberries.
Almost to pretty to eat.
- 8If your cake should start to break apart on you, no worry. Take out your trifle server and make layers with whipped cream as a middle and top layer. Decorate and you have the same great desert and just as pretty¡
This is sooooo easy and sooooo good, not to mention quick!