London Apple Sponge Cake
This cake is sweet and delicious.
So impress your family and friends with this tasty morsel.I hope you enjoy this recipe.
- 1 lb
- cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c
- golden caster sugar* (extra fine sugar)
- 4 large
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c
- self-rising flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 Tbsp
- demerara sugar *
How to Make London Apple Sponge Cake
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350^. Spray a 10-inch round baking pan.
Place apple slices in a bowl and squeeze the juice over them and stir to coat all; set aside.
Place butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until fluffy. add eggs, and vanilla and incorporate well.
- 2Combine flour, baking powder and beat into batter until smooth.
Spread 1/2 the batter in the prepared pan, then 1/2 the apple slices.
Repeat with remaining batter and then the remaining apples on top.
- 3Sprinkle Demerara sugar over top.
Bake in 350^ oven for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.
Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes; then cut into squares or bars.
- 4Caster sugar-- is- finely refined sugar- golden in color
Demerara sugar- large grained sugar, rich like molasses flavor which enhances baked goods and remains crunchy through cooking, Great for sprinkling as topping. Like the sugar we use on Christmass cookie decorating. (the large crystals)