I really don't know where the name came from, but the first time I had it was in rest here in Southern Florida. It might be the fact you frost a hot cake, and don't drain fruit, something you might do if you are in a big hurry!
It almost reminds me of bread pudding.
I asked around and found someone who had a recipe....and that was it!
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 large
- 2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- salad oil
- 15 1/4 oz
- can fruit cocktail, undrained (no 303 can)
- 1/3 c
- flaked coconut, (just enough to lightly cover)
- 3/4 c
- 1 stick
- 1/2 c
- evaporated milk
- 1 tsp
How to Make Hurricane Cake
- 1Mix together sugar, flour, eggs, soda, salt and oil together.
- 2Add fruit cocktail, blend and pour into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Sprinkle with flaked coconut.
- 3Bake in a pre heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- 4Spread while hot with topping.
- 5To prepare topping, mix sugar butter, milk, and boil 1 minute, add vanilla.
- 6Stir and frost cake.