I really don't know where the name came from, but the first time I had it was in rest here in Southern Florida. It might be the fact you frost a hot cake, and don't drain fruit, something you might do if you are in a big hurry!
It almost reminds me of bread pudding.
I asked around and found someone who had a recipe....and that was it!
1 1/2 csugar
2 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking soda
1/2 csalad oil
15 1/4 ozcan fruit cocktail, undrained (no 303 can)
1/3 cflaked coconut, (just enough to lightly cover)
1/2 cevaporated milk
How to Make Hurricane Cake
- Mix together sugar, flour, eggs, soda, salt and oil together.
- Add fruit cocktail, blend and pour into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Sprinkle with flaked coconut.
- Bake in a pre heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Spread while hot with topping.
- To prepare topping, mix sugar butter, milk, and boil 1 minute, add vanilla.
- Stir and frost cake.