Recipe & photo: Family Circle magazine
- 1 box
- (15.25 oz.) pillsbury moist supreme devil's food cake mix
- 1 c
- ½ c
- vegetable oil
- 2 stick
- unsalted butter, softened
- 1 box
- (1 lb.) confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- milk or heavy cream
- mini oreo cookies
- regular oreo cookies
- brown m&m's, (mixed mini, regular and mega sizes)
How to Make GHOST CAKE
- 1Cut parchment paper to fit in the bottom of two 8-inch round baking pans. Coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2Prepare cake mix according to package directions for two 8-inch cakes, substituting buttermilk for water and using vegetable oil and eggs.
- 3Pour into pans and bake in a preheated 350º oven for 34 to 38 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on baking racks for 15 minutes. Remove from pans, remove parchment and cool completely.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare frosting. With a stand mixer or a hand mixer combine butter, confectioners' sugar and milk. Beat on low until just combined, then on high 3 to 5 minutes, until fluffy. Set aside 1 Tbsp. of the frosting.
- 5Carefully take apart mini and regular Oreo cookies, making sure frosting sticks completely to one of the halves. Place non-frosted halves in a resealable plastic bag and smash into pieces.
- 6Trim layers of cake to make each one flat and place one layer on a stand. Spread 3/4 cup of the frosting evenly over top and sprinkle with smashed cookies, pressing slightly into frosting.
- 7Place second cake layer on top, then spread remaining frosting over the top and sides of cake. With a bit of the reserved frosting, secure one of the M&M's to each of the 20 Oreo halves. Arrange on cake so they look like pairs of eyeballs.