French Sweet Custard Apple Cake
1 1/2 lbgranny smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into small pieces
1 Tbspcalvados, or apple brandy or white rum or omit
1 tsplemon juice, fresh
1 cplus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cplus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tspbaking powder
1 largeegg-plus 2 more large yolks
1 cvegetable oil only
1 cwhole milk
1 tspvanilla extract
garnishwith sifted powdered sugar,optional
How to Make French Sweet Custard Apple Cake
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle and heat oven to 325^. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with vegetable spray. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Place chopped apples into microwave safe place for about 3 minutes. Toss apples with the Calvados and lemon juice and set aside to let them cool for at least 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk 1 cup only of the flour, only 1 cup of the sugar,baking powder, and salt.
In a second bowl, whisk the egg, oil, milk and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
Transfer 1 cup of batter to another bowl and set aside.
- Now to the large bowl of batter add the 2 extra egg yolks and whisk to combine.
Using a spatula, gently fold in the cooled apples. Evenly spread batter in the prepared pan to the edges, gently pressing on apples to make a compact layer and smooth surface.
- Whisk remaining 2 Tablespoons flour into the 1 cup of reserved batter. Pour over batter in pan and spread evenly to pan edges and smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining Tablespoon of granulated sugar evenly over cake.
- Bake until center of cake is set and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden brown, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; let cook for 5 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan so top does not crack as it cools completely, 2 to 3 hours.
Dust lightly with powdered sugar, cut into wedges and serve.
Adding the extra flour creates a tender airy top.
Adding the 2 extra yolks creates a creamy, dense custard bottom.