ANGEL FOOD CAKE
Recipe & Picture from: Family Circle
"The delicate texture and sugary sweetness of homemade angel food cake can't be matched.
Try this recipe instead of a cake mix and discover for yourself."
Per serving: Calories 168, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 124 mg, Carbohydrate 37 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 5 g. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 12 large
- 1 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/3 c
- superfine sugar
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 c
- cake flour (not self-rising)
How to Make ANGEL FOOD CAKE
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2- Using an egg separator, separate one of the eggs into a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Then transfer egg white to a large bowl.
- Repeat with remaining eggs (this keeps any yolk from accidentally getting into all your whites).
- Discard yolks.
- Let egg whites warm to room temperature.
- Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites.
- 3- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually beat in superfine sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff but glossy peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- 4- Fold flour into egg whites in two additions, until incorporated.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
*VARIATION for a CHOCOLATE and VANILLA MARBLED ANGEL FOOD CAKE*
- Follow directions above through step 3.
- Then remove half of the batter to a medium-size bowl.
- Reduce flour to 3/4 cup.
- Fold 1/2 cup of the flour into the batter in one of the bowls.
- Sift 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and the remaining 1/4 cup flour over the second half of the batter in the other bowl and fold in both.
- Spoon batters alternately into a 10-inch tube pan.
- Swirl together with a knife for a marbled effect.
- Bake and cool as directed in step 5.
- 5- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes, until top has risen very high and is lightly browned and cracked.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert onto baking sheet or neck of bottle.
- Cool completely.