★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 cbutter softened
1/2 cground almonds
1 pkgpuff pastry dough
How to Make Almond Puff Pastry King's Cake
- Defrost puff pastry dough the night before making in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 415 degrees
To prepare the frangipane or almond filling:
Cream butter and sugar lightly, add egg in portions and finally add flour and ground almonds.
- 1. using a generous dusting of flour on the counter and on a rolling pin, roll out one sheet of puff pastry dough into an 11 inch square.
- 2. Using a 10 inch pie pan turned upside down as your guide, cut a circle out of the dough with the tip of a knife. Refrigerate the sheet on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat rolling and cutting the second sheet.
- 3. Pour frangipane filling into the center of first sheet of pastry leaving a 1 1/2 inch margin for the edge and lightly brush edge with beaten egg.
- 4. Place the second sheet of dough on top of the first and press the edges with a fork very firmly.
- 5. Lightly brush the top of the gallette with more of the beaten egg. Use a sharp pointed knife, make decorative crisscross patterns on top sheet a few small slits so that steam can vent while baking.
- 6. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Avoid opening the oven while baking as the pastry may not fully puff.
- 7. Remove gallette from the oven and dust with confectioner's sugar. Return to the oven for 12 to 15 more minutes, and until top is golden brown.
Let cool before serving.