J. White Harris
Rice Congee is made by cooking rice until it breaks down making a thick liquid. This soup is usually served at breakfast. The flavor can be different every time depending on the meat added to the soup.
1 clong grain rice, uncooked
5 cchicken stock
1/2 tspmsg, optional
1 slicefresh ginger
1 tspsesame oil
1 Tbspwhite wine vinegar
1pinch of white pepper
2green onions, chopped for garnish
·cooked meat or seafood of your choice, optional.
How to Make Rice Congee
- Put the rice, chicken stock, MSG (optional), and ginger in a pressure cooker. Close lid, bring up to pressure, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
OR--Put into a 6 quart saucepan, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, cover, and cook 2 hours or more until the mixture is thick and fairly smooth.
- While the rice is cooking put the eggs in a small bowl and beat them. In another bowl mix the sesame oil, vinegar, and white pepper together.
- When the rice is finished cooking and the pressure has been released pour the beaten eggs over the top of the soup in a thin stream. Gently stir in the eggs to form egg flowers.
- Add the oil, vinegar, pepper mixture to the pot. Garnish with chopped green onion.
- Optional. You can add most any kind of cooked meat or seafood to this. What you use will give this soup a distinctive flavor. Using a different meat next time will give it a different flavor.