Microwaved Quick Oatmeal
3 Tbspoatmeal, quick, 5-minute, regular
·water, to cover
1 pinchsalt, iodized
1/2 cfruit, any kind
3 tspchopped nuts, any kind
1/2 tspcoconut oil
1 tspwheat bran, optional
1/2 tspcinnamon, ground/powder
How to Make Microwaved Quick Oatmeal
- Add oatmeal to a microwave safe 3 cup bowl. The bowl must be big enough or the oatmeal will boil over and make a huge mess. Use any kind except instant. (I don't like the additives in instant and it is so finely ground that much of the fiber effect is lost.) Do not stir.
- Add water either from the tap to cover and add about one inch above the oatmeal, bottled or filtered. Use what you have and what you can afford. Do not stir.
- Add salt. I'm on a salt restricted diet but found that I wasn't getting enough Iodine in my diet so I have added this tiny bit. You can omit the salt if you wish. Do not stir.
- Add fruit. I have diced A fresh apple with peel. I've added drained, canned fruit like peaches, pears or fruit cocktail (half a can and I dice it.) Make sure the water level in the bowl barely covers the fruit. Do not stir.
- Add the Coconut Oil. You may use Butter, either salted or unsalted, Olive oil, Avocado oil or even Margarine if that is all you have. You can omit the fat if you wish. I find the fat helps keep it from boiling over. Do not stir.
- Pace the bowl in the center of the microwave on the turn table. Microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on full power. No need to cover. The oatmeal will rise very close to the rim sometimes. Stop the power and let it sit a few seconds then continue to cook the full time. Microwave ovens vary and food should be monitored for boil over, sparking, smoking, burning. (better safe that sorry.) CAUTION! The bowl will be very hot. remove with pot holders, bowl covers can be added prior to microwaving to make for easy removal after cooking. I crocheted some with 100% cotton yarn.
- Add the sliced or chopped nuts. Almonds or Sunflower Seeds are two of my favorites. In a pinch I have added a heaping teaspoon of nut butter instead. Stir it all in. You can omit the nuts too.