Layered Mediterranean Pie
You could use prepared red peppers from a jar or roasted red pepper if you like.
If you use frozen pie crust, sliced ham and sliced mozzarella from your grocery store this recipe goes together very quickly.
With a 9 inch pan you need only 3 eggs. With 9 1/2 or 10 inch pan used 4 eggs.
Can serve hot or room temperature. This pie looks impressive to serve to your family and friends.
1 mediumonion chopped
1 clovegarlic, minced
12 ozpackage of frozen chopped spinach drained well
8 ozsliced ham
8 ozsliced mozzarella cheese
1red pepper cut in strips
3 - 4eggs, lightly beaten (depends on size of pie pan)
How to Make Layered Mediterranean Pie
- Prepare pastry for 2 crust pie and put bottom crust into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Sauté onion & garlic in butter until tender.
- Drain defrosted spinach well and stir into onion mixture.
- Layer, in order – ham, cheese, spinach, red pepper.
- Pour beaten eggs over the layers. Reserve a small amount of egg to brush on top crust.
- Put top crust on the pie.
Decorate with left-over pastry if desired.
Seal edges. Brush with reserved egg. Make slits for steam.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 35-40 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Makes 4-5 servings