joey's special oatmeal
Candy Hummer first introduced me to making oatmeal in the crockpot.
- 1 c
- steel cut oats....(toasted)
- 3 c
- filtered water (exchange 1/2 water for skim milk, for creamier oatmeal)
- 1/2 c
- dried fruit; raisins, craisins, blueberrys, cherrys
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch
- salt, optional....you won't miss it.
How to Make joey's special oatmeal
- 1Toast the oats in a skillet until browned lightly and the smell toasty.
- 2Spray 1.5 qt. crockpot with PAM
- 3Combine all ingredients into the crockpot.
- 4Cook on low 4-5 hrs. I find it better to do this during the day, as at 8 hrs it sticks bad!
- 5This will make 7, 1/2 C servings. I divy it up into a muffin tin; which I refrigerate over night (cover lightly with foil) then store in an airtight container for a weeks worth of breakfasts. I break up a 'muffin' into a bowl, add 1/2 c of skim milk, sometimes a 1/4 c of toasted walnuts and a tsp of brown sugar.
- 6Microwave for 1 min. stir and enjoy.