☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- milk, 2%
- 1/2 c
- whipping cream
- 1/4 c
- asiago cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp
- lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp
- cayenne pepper, ground
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- shallots, chopped & lightly sauteed
- 2 c
- spinach, lightly steamed or sauteed
- 4 slice
- 4 large
- eggs, poached
- english muffins, split & toasted
How to Make Eggs Benny
- 1Have all ingredients close at hand and prepared (chopped etc as required)
- 2In a sauce pot, medium low heat, melt butter and stir in the flour, blending well
- 3Slowly add the milk and cream to the butter mixture in your sauce pot, whisking constantly to blend smoothly
- 4Mix in the lemon juice and the ground cayenne pepper
- 5Add the grated cheese (more cheese may be added for a cheesier flavour if desired. Keep in mind that the cheese will further thicken the sauce).
- 6Do not allow the sauce to boil! You want a low simmer. Turn the temperature down as required.
- 7Allow the sauce to cook and thicken to desired consistency. It will thicken as it sits.
- 8Heat the ham slices by frying lightly, steaming or nuke.
- 9Quickly steam/fry the spinach and shallots together and heat thoroughly (if you have not already done so)
- 10To plate: set out 1/2 English muffin on each plate. Top each with a ham slice, 1/4 - 1/2 cup of spinach and a poached egg on top. Spoon sauce over the top of your egg (with a bit extra for 'dipping'!) Serve hot with pepper for those that want it.
Keep a warmed oven on the ready to stow your items before plating them.