1/2 Tbspall purpose flour
1/2 cmilk, 2%
1/2 cwhipping cream
1/4 casiago cheese, grated
1/4 tsplemon juice
1/8 tspcayenne pepper, ground
·salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbspshallots, chopped & lightly sauteed
2 cspinach, lightly steamed or sauteed
4 largeeggs, poached
2english muffins, split & toasted
How to Make Eggs Benny
- Have all ingredients close at hand and prepared (chopped etc as required)
- In a sauce pot, medium low heat, melt butter and stir in the flour, blending well
- Slowly add the milk and cream to the butter mixture in your sauce pot, whisking constantly to blend smoothly
- Mix in the lemon juice and the ground cayenne pepper
- Add the grated cheese (more cheese may be added for a cheesier flavour if desired. Keep in mind that the cheese will further thicken the sauce).
- Do not allow the sauce to boil! You want a low simmer. Turn the temperature down as required.
- Allow the sauce to cook and thicken to desired consistency. It will thicken as it sits.
- Heat the ham slices by frying lightly, steaming or nuke.
- Quickly steam/fry the spinach and shallots together and heat thoroughly (if you have not already done so)
- To plate: set out 1/2 English muffin on each plate. Top each with a ham slice, 1/4 - 1/2 cup of spinach and a poached egg on top. Spoon sauce over the top of your egg (with a bit extra for 'dipping'!) Serve hot with pepper for those that want it.
Keep a warmed oven on the ready to stow your items before plating them.