Caramelized Onions and Eggs
Serve with your favorite flatbread, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, cheese and fruit for a wonderful breakfast.
·4 large eggs
·2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
·2 tbsp. butter
·1 ½ tsp. sea salt
·½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
·1 tsp. sugar (brown)
·1/4 tsp sumac
How to Make Caramelized Onions and Eggs
- Melt the butter in a medium pan and slowly sauté the onions over very low heat.
- Add the sugar (if necessary, add a little bit of water)
- Cook until the onions are completely softened and caramelized.
The best way to caramelize onions in a pan; Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the onions begin to turn a brownish color, turn heat to low and cook the onions for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once they are a dark, deep brown and sticky with caramelization, they’re done!
- Make 4 wells among the onions.
- Break an egg into each well, and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the whites are done to your liking and the yolks are still runny.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of sumac and enjoy.