5-6 lbapples, fuji is my favorite, but any will work, just adjust sugar to your preference
2-4 csugar, i use 2 cups w/fuji because it's a sweet apple, you may need more depending on the apple you choose
2 tspground cinnamon
1/2 tspground cloves
1/8 tspground nutmeg
How to Make Morning Surprise Apple Butter!
- Peel, core, and slice apples, the thinner you slice the apple the faster it will cook down.
Place all slices in a huge bowl! One large enough that after you sprinkle the spices and sugar on you will be able to toss all together to combine.
- Combine all spices, sugar and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle over apple slices and toss.
- Place apples in a crock pot (I used 2 crock pots for faster cooking) and cook on high for 1-2 hours. Lid off! Stir occasionally.
- Place lid on and turn crock pot to low setting. Cook for 9-10 hours. Stirring occasionally will help with making it thick by letting steam out of the crock pot. Test for consistency by dropping 1/2 teaspoon apple butter on a plate. Wait 2 minutes and if there is a water ring around the apple butter cook 1 hour longer WITH LID OFF. Test again. You do not want watery apple butter! Do this until there is no water ring. Some of the apples I had to cook much longer because they had a higher water content. Keep a close eye on it after 11 hours though because you don't want to scorch it. Stir at edges will help with this.
- The Fuji apples get a very deep, rich, brown color that I like the best. I couldn't get Jonathans and MacIntosh to get to that same deep color. But the taste was just as delicious! I found an immersion blender helpful to get the smooth consistency that I wanted. (warning: keep it on the bottom of the crock pot while blending) Mine is a Braun.
- If you do not "can" the apple butter keep it in the refrigerator. I canned several batches and got 3-4 quarts from every batch. If you'd like to can or (put up) the apple butter for storing in the pantry send me a message and I'll tell you how I do it the SUPER EASY way with the microwave! ;-)