BACON AND CHEDDAR GRITS QUICHE
Recipe & photo: Southern Living Magazine
6 slicethick bacon
1/2 cuncooked stone-ground grits
2 tspkosher salt, divided
1 tspblack pepper, divided
2-1/2 cshredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2-1/2 chalf and half
1 cheavy cream
1/3 csliced green onions
How to Make BACON AND CHEDDAR GRITS QUICHE
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp; drain and crumble. Transfer 2 tsp. bacon drippings to a saucepan.
- Bring drippings, milk, and butter to a boil over medium heat in the saucepan. Gradually whisk in grits, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; cook, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until very thick. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 1 egg; spread in a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 350º oven for 25 minutes or until set and browned. Sprinkle remaining 1-1/2 cups cheese over warm grits, spreading to edges. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 325º. Combine half-and-half, cream, onions, and remaining 5 eggs, 1 tsp.salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Pour over grits; sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 325º for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until lightly browned and just set. Let stand 20 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edges of quiche; remove sides of pan, and serve.
- NOTE: This dish just cries out for a side of fresh fruit and some strong, hot coffee!