Basic Bread Dough
How to Make Basic Bread Dough
- Pour water into stand mixing bowl, add yeast and salt. Let sit 10 min. Yeast should be foamy to prove it's working.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Using the dough hook, mix for 7 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface, knead for a few minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. (I do this more for my own pleasure, rather than necessity). Form dough into a large ball.
- Oil a large mixing bowl, roll the dough ball to coat with the oil, cover with a damp towel and let rise until double in bulk. Usually an hour or so.
- Punch dough down, separate into 2 equal portions, knead and shape into a flattish rectangle, fold in the short ends of your rectangle, then fold in the long sides, meeting the dough in the center and pinching to form a seam. (This step insures your bread will rise evenly and not go all wild on one side)Place bread into a prepared loaf pan seam side down. Do the same with the remaining dough. Cover and let rise again to 1/2 inch above the pan edge.
- Place into a preheated 350*F oven, bake for 30 min. Take out baste top with butter, bake an additional 10 min.
- Remove bread from oven, let sit in pan 10 min. on wire rack. Remove bread from pan onto wire wire rack. Cool completely before cutting....Yeah right, that never happens here. lol
- Cool completely before wrapping.