Aunt Nell's Oatmeal Bread
I loved her oatmeal bread and asked for the recipe which she graciously gave to me.
This one kind of touches my heart because we have very few recipes from my mother's (or father's) family. I'm glad I found it in my notebook!!
How to Make Aunt Nell's Oatmeal Bread
- Bring water to boil, add salt, and oats -- cook 1 minute -- cool to lukewarm
- add brown sugar and butter
- Put yeast into 1/4 C luke warm water (She used dry yeast) -- when it bubbles mix in oatmeal & add flour.
NOTE FROM AUNT NELL: "I find that the amount of flour varies sometimes but I mix in all it will take and not be sticky. Sometimes I add a couple of tablespoons of molasses and a little white sugar -- say 1 tablespoon -- also a little sugar in the water for the yeast."
- Let raise just once then mold into loaf, let raise.
- Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes
Note from Aunt Nell: You will have to watch it and if it gets too hot turn the oven down a little