Mustard and Thyme Braided Bread
2 cwheat flour
3 Tbspactive dry yeast
2 cwhey (can replace with water)
2 Tbspdark brown sugar
1/2 cgrainy, spicy mustard
3 Tbspdried thyme
·flour to knead
How to Make Mustard and Thyme Braided Bread
- Heat whey. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Then allow to cool to warm.
- Add yeast and whisk leaving no clumps.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, until bubbly.
- In a mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients. Mix.
- Then add mustard. Do not stir.
- Pour in yeast mixture. Mix well. Should be quite sticky.
- Dump dough onto flour surface. Knead with floured hands, adding flour when kneaded.
- Then in a lidded pot, spray with non-stick oil and set the dough in.
- Allow to rise for 1 hr. Then remove and punch down. Knead once again for 2 minutes. Then put back in pot for another hour.
- Then divide dough in half. Form into desired loaves. I like to make one smaller loaf sometimes and some braided dinner rolls.
- Optionally sprinkle with kosher salt and cook in oven at 350 for about 40 min. The rolls about 20 min if you choose to do so.
- Also, you can optionally paint with melted butter, fresh out of the oven. Then allow to cool and serve.