How to Make Irish Soda Bread
- In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until consistency of cornmeal. Stir in soda and salt.
- Beating constantly with large spoon or mixer, add enough buttermilk to form a firm ball.
- Knead dough in bowl for several minutes, then form a ball.
- On greased, lightly floured cookie sheet, with floured hands flatten dough to a circle 1 1/2" high. With floured knife, cut a cross 1/2" deep in center.
- Bake in 425 degree oven 35 - 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Cool on rack.