Grape-Nuts Yeast Bread- Mom's
It is a crusty bread with both wheat and all purpose flours.
It makes great toast and sandwiches and was advertised as more healthy than white bread, but I don't have nutrition values.
My mom wrote out the directions long hand so I don't have the originally published directions. Here is her version of Grape-Nuts Yeast Bread.
Prep time includes rising time and is approximate.
- 2/3 c
- grape-nuts cereal
- 1/3 c
- oat bran
- 1/3 c
- dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/3 c
- boiling water
- 1 pkg
- dry active yeast
- 1 tsp
- 2/3 c
- lukewarm water
- 2 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
- a little cornmeal to dust baking sheets
How to Make Grape-Nuts Yeast Bread- Mom's
- 1In a large mixing bowl, combine the Grape-Nuts cereal, oat bran and brown sugar. Stir in the boiling water and set aside until cool.
In another bowl, stir together the yeast, granulated sugar and warm water. Let it stand until it becomes frothy. This takes about 5 minutes.
Be sure boiling water/Grape-Nuts mixture has cooled to lukewarm or it will kill the yeast if it is too warm. Stir cooled Grape-Nuts mixture and then mix with the yeast mixture.
- 2Stirring by hand blend in the whole wheat flour, salt and as much of the all purpose flour as necessary to make a soft but firm dough starting with 2 cups of flour and using as little as possible of the remaining cup.
- 3Lightly flour a flat work surface. Turn the dough and knead until smooth. This takes about 15 minutes. Form into a ball.
Butter the inside of a clean bowl, place the dough in the bowl, rolling it to coat with butter. Cover bowl and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in bulk. This takes about 1 hour.
Punch down the dough, turn it out of bowl, and knead about 3 minutes. Shape it into a ball again. Cut the ball into 2 equal pieces.
Shape each piece into a tight ball. Dust a baking sheet lightly with cornmeal. Place the balls on it and cover with a kitchen towel dusted with flour. Let rise again until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- 4Preheat the oven to 450 degrees about 15 minutes before baking. Set an oven proof cup with water in the bottom of the oven to provide some steam which helps crust bake properly.
Using a serrated knife gently score a "X" on top of both the loaves of dough. Bake until the loaves are dark brown and sound hollow when tapped from the bottom. This takes about 45 minutes. Watch to be sure the oven is not too hot. Be sure bread does not burn.
- 5Cool completely on a wire rack or on kitchen towels/paper towels
Slice and serve.
Wrap well to freeze.