German Dark Rye Bread
Note: If using this recipe to make a light/dark "marbled" rye loaf, knead both the light and dark dough separately for about 3 minutes or so, then combine and knead them together for another minute or so (to produce the marbled effect). I find it easier to just also make a white rye and then mix the two to marble together. It just doubles your yield.
2 1/2 crye flour
3 cunbleached white bread flour
1/4 cunsweetened cocoa
2 pkgactive dry yeast
1 Tbspcaraway seeds
How to Make German Dark Rye Bread
- Place white flour, cocoa, yeast, caraway seed and salt in large bowl.
Stir to mix
- Place 2 cups water, honey and butter in a saucepan.
Heat liquids until they are very warm, 110 degrees.
Add to dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
Beat very hard for 3 minutes.
- Stir in rye flour, enough to make a soft dough.
Knead 8 to 10 minutes.
Cover and let rest 20 minutes
- Knead lightly, roll out and shape to fit 2 greased loaf pans.
Brush tops lightly with oil, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.