Buttermilk Honey Bread
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This bread has a lovely, subtle sweetness...and the buttermilk really keeps it moist. Yum! The Test Kitchen
How to Make Buttermilk Honey Bread
- 1Combine 1/2 cup of warm water, yeast and a pinch of suger in small bowl. Stir to dissolve yeast, and let sit for approx. 10 minutes or till foamy
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining warm water, buttermilk, melted butter, honey and salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir till combines. Add 2 cups of flour and mix well. Continue to beat mixture for 2 minutes ot till smooth and creamy. Add additional flour in 1/2 cup increments, stirring well after each addition, until the dough holds together and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl
- 3Switch from paddle attachment to the dough hook, knead in the remaining flour adding a few tablespoons at a time, until smooth and the dough no longer sticks to your finger when touched. Continue to knead for approx. 5 minutes
- 4Lightly grease a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or towl. Let the dough rise at room temp till doubles, about 1 and 1/2 hours
- 5Turn dough out onto work surface and divide in half. Grease 2 loaf pans (9x5)with butter and set aside. form loaves. Place each loaf seam side down in the pans and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- 6Allow to rise at room temp till doubled again, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 40-45 minutes or till loaves look deep golden brown.