Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Use a kitchen scale to measure the ingredients. It is by far the easiest way to make bread. No more guessing when the recipes calls for "four to six cups of flour" or "add flour until."
"Baker's percentages" are also given for each ingredient to make the recipe easy to scale up or down. The total flour is the first 100 percent. The other ingredients are given in percentages relative to the amount of flour.
- 300 g
- bread flour (50%)
- 300 g
- white whole wheat flour (50%)
- 9 g
- yeast (1.5%)
- 12 g
- salt (2%)
- 24 g
- granulated sugar (4%)
- 210 g
- skim milk (35%)
- 210 g
- water (35%)
How to Make Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- 1In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients.
- 2Stir in the wet ingredients until the dough is a ragged mass and most of the flour is incorporated.
- 3Flop the dough and any loose flour onto a clean surface and knead only until all the flour is incorporated (about 20 strokes).
- 4Form the dough into a ball and return to the bowl. Cover.
- 5After 45 minutes, use your hands to stretch the bread into a rectangle about 10" x 16." Fold the rectangle in thirds as you would to put a business letter in an envelope. Turn 90 degrees and fold in thirds again. Place the resulting folded dough seam side down back in the bowl. Cover.
- 6After 45 minutes or when the dough has about doubled in size, flatten the dough into a rectangle approximately 8" x 14." Roll each narrow end toward the center as you would a scroll. The final shape will look like two tubes of dough next to each other. Pat on the ends to make the dough fit into a loaf pan.
- 7Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease it with butter to prevent any sticking. Place the shaped dough in a loaf pan, scroll side up.
- 8Allow the dough to rise 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 375F. Do not worry if the dough is still small at this point. It should rise more thoroughly in the oven.
- 9Bake one hour. Remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool on a rack before slicing.