★★★★★ 1 vote5
c3 3/4-4 1/4 all-purpose flour, divided
3 cwhole wheat flour
1/2 cgranulated sugar
2 pkgdry yeast
How to Make Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Combine water, molasses, and shortening in a small saucepan; heat until shortening melts, stirring occasionally. Cool to 120-130 degrees.
- Combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of whole wheat flour and remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and stir well.
- Gradually add liquid mixture to flour mixture, beating 4 minutes at medium speed of an electric mixer. Stir in remaining 2 cups whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Let rest 20 minutes. Punch dough down; divide dough into 36 balls. Place balls on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze until firm. Transfer frozen balls to zip-top heavy-duty plastic bags. Freeze up to 1 month.
- Remove from freezer; place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85F degrees), free from drafts for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 375F degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 3 dozen.
- This recipe was originally from: Nell H. Amador from Guntersville, Alabama.