Whole Grain Wheat Sourdough Bread
How to Make Whole Grain Wheat Sourdough Bread
- Measure using a digital scale. Levain ingredients: Sourdough starter, Bread Flour, and water....Let rest for 6 hours....
- 2 hours BEFORE the levain is ready, use a dough hook and mix on low 546 g. bread flour, 154 g whole wheat flour and 550 g. water. Mix until well incorporated and use a spatula to make sure. Rest in a covered bowl 2 hours.
- Add Levain and sea salt to the Flour/water mix, mix on speed 2-3 for 2 minutes. Use a spatula to stir down.
- Use a water bottle to spritz the counter down with a light dust of water. Dump out the dough and fold over several times with a plane to make a ball. Cut in half.
- Put each ball in an 8 x 8 glass pan. Rest, covered for 45 minutes.
- Coil folds: For the next 5 hours, every hour, use lightly wet hands to lift and fold the dough over itself. Start in the middle of the dough and lift up until the dough comes up off the dish. Fold. You are creating air pockets here and are redistributing the dough. Turn the dish and do this again 2 more times.
- Use brown rice flour to dust a bannaton well. Flour the countertop really well. Flip out one of the loaves and shape the dough to your banneton. Proof dough, covered in the bannetons in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning: Preheat the oven to 475F 1 hour with the cast iron Dutch oven inside---nice and hot. Flip dough from banneton onto parchment paper. Score using a lame. Bake covered for 20 minutes. (while dough is in oven, put empty bannetons at the back of the top of the stove to dry)
- After 20 minutes, turn the heat down to 450 take bread out of the Dutch oven and place on the rack to continue baking for another 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 2 hours before slicing.