1 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
5 Tbspbutter, cut into small cubes
4 Tbspbrown sugar, light
1 smallapple, peeled, cored and grated
2 Tbspmilk (or more, as needed)
·superfine (caster) sugar, for dusting
How to Make Tinker's Cakes
- Place a heavy cast iron skillet or griddle on the burner, turned to low to medium heat.
- Place flour, baking powder, salt and butter into bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade. Process until butter is mixed in and mixture is crumbly (may do this by hand instead). Place mixture into a medium bowl.
- Stir in sugar, apple and add enough milk to form a soft dough that can be formed into a ball.
- Place on a floured surface and roll dough out to about 1/4-inch thick. With a 3-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out rounds. Gather leftover pieces and roll out again to make more.
- Smear a little butter in pan or griddle and cook the cakes in batches for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Place on wire rack and dust with sugar. Serve warm.