TEXAS CORNBREAD (sallye)
2 cyellow cornmeal (not self rising)
1 call purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder or baking soda (see notes)
1 tspsea salt
2eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tbspolive oil or bacon drippings
2 cmilk (see notes)
2 Tbspoil for baking dish
How to Make TEXAS CORNBREAD (sallye)
- NOTE: If your liquid is buttermilk, use baking soda; if your liquid is "sweet" milk, use baking powder.
- ANOTHER TIP: I whisk my egg, liquid and oil together until well blended before I add to mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Sift all dry ingredients into large mixing bowl
- NOTE: Mix by hand - do not use electric mixer
Add eggs, 1 tablespoon oil and 1 cup milk.
Mix by hand until all ingredients are moist, then add the other cup of milk and mix gently until batter is well mixed.
Add more milk if needed so that batter is fluid but not runny
Do not overmix or bread will not rise
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 9" cast iron skillet on stove top.
When oil is slightly smoking, add batter, spread out evenly and then place in oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you need to buy one......just kidding, you can use a 9" cake pan or 9" square baking pan if you don't have a cast iron skillet.