The author has these hints for us : adding fresh corn is also an option and will really lend authenticity to this recipe. The recipe is very versatile and can be made the day before but it is best when fresh out of the oven and mixed with juicy beans and/or slathered with real butter (never eat fresh corn bread with margarine!) and eaten hot!
The best cornbread is made fresh from scratch and is cooked in an iron skillet in the oven.
2 - 4 Tbspsugar (to taste)
4 tspbaking powder
1 cmilk or buttermilk
1/4 coil or bacon fat
1 can(s)cream corn (optional)
·chopped green chilies (optional)
How to Make Texas Cornbread
- Melt enough bacon fat in the iron skillet to keep the cornbread from sticking and to flavor the crust.
- Place the skillet in the 425 degree F. oven to heat the whole skillet while mixing the batter.
- In a bowl stir together the dry ingredients: flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the mixed dry ingredients and add: eggs, milk or buttermilk, oil or bacon fat (for best flavor) a can of creamed corn, chopped green chiles.
- Stir until mixed well and pour into the pre-heated skillet. You should hear a sizzle!
- Bake the cornbread for 20 to 25 minutes until brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.