The first item in the ingredient list is a link to my sourdough starter.... the link is where you need to start at least a couple of days prior to making the actual bread.
Have Fun! Happy Baking!!!
- 4 3/4 c
- bread flour (hold 3/4 cup of the flour out in a small bowl and set aside)
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- 1 pkg
- (.25 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 c
- warm milk (90 degrees)
- 2 Tbsp
- margarine (softened)
- 1 1/2 c
- active sourdough starter
- extra large egg
- 1 Tbsp
- warm water (90 degrees)
How to Make Sourdough Bread
- 1In a large bowl, combine and stir together the first 4 ingredients (only 4 cups of the flour). Set aside.
In a very large bowl: Stir in the milk and softened margarine, stir in the sour dough starter. Gradually stir in the 4 cups of flour mixture. You may need more depending on humidity.
- 2Using the flour that you set aside, flour your surface, turn out the dough and knead for about 10 minutes.
- 3Grease two bread loaf pans, Divide the dough in two equal halves. Knead each half a few times and shape into a loaf. Let the dough rise for 20 minutes. Punch the dough down. Knead it a few times, shape into loaf and place in greased loaf pan, doing both loaves this way.
- 4Cover the loaves with a damp baking towel and let the bread rise about an hour in a warm place. It is ready when doubled in size. Brush the tops of the loaves with an egg wash.
*** You can garnish the bread tops with poppy seeds, sesseme seeds, or finely minced fresh onion at this point.
- 5Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 6Bake for 1/2 hour or until done. (Bread is done when you tap gently and it sounds hollow).