The first item in the ingredient list is a link to my sourdough starter.... the link is where you need to start at least a couple of days prior to making the actual bread.
Have Fun! Happy Baking!!!
4 3/4 cbread flour (hold 3/4 cup of the flour out in a small bowl and set aside)
1 pkg(.25 ounce) active dry yeast
1 cwarm milk (90 degrees)
2 Tbspmargarine (softened)
1 1/2 cactive sourdough starter
1extra large egg
1 Tbspwarm water (90 degrees)
How to Make Sourdough Bread
- In a large bowl, combine and stir together the first 4 ingredients (only 4 cups of the flour). Set aside.
In a very large bowl: Stir in the milk and softened margarine, stir in the sour dough starter. Gradually stir in the 4 cups of flour mixture. You may need more depending on humidity.
- Using the flour that you set aside, flour your surface, turn out the dough and knead for about 10 minutes.
- Grease two bread loaf pans, Divide the dough in two equal halves. Knead each half a few times and shape into a loaf. Let the dough rise for 20 minutes. Punch the dough down. Knead it a few times, shape into loaf and place in greased loaf pan, doing both loaves this way.
- Cover the loaves with a damp baking towel and let the bread rise about an hour in a warm place. It is ready when doubled in size. Brush the tops of the loaves with an egg wash.
*** You can garnish the bread tops with poppy seeds, sesseme seeds, or finely minced fresh onion at this point.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 1/2 hour or until done. (Bread is done when you tap gently and it sounds hollow).