Soft Wheat Bread
2 cwarm water (110-115 degrees)
2 Tbspwhole milk
4 Tbspoil, ( i use canola)
4 Tbspbrown sugar
3 cwhole wheat flour ( i use white whole wheat)
3 call purpose flour
5 tspinstant active dry yeast (see note below)
8 tspvital wheat gluten (optional)
How to Make Soft Wheat Bread
- combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir and set aside
- in another large bowl, add the flours and mix until will combined
- Add the flour mixture to the yeast mixture stir and turn out onto a lightly floured bread, dough is slightly sticky so you may have to dust occasionally with extra flour ( I use about 1/2 cup)
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough into a well greased bowl turn once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40-60 minutes or until doubled.
- Punch dough down, turn onto lightly floured board and knead lightly for about two minutes until smooth, then form into loaves. place into greased loaf pans cover , let rise until almost doubled in size about 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven. I place a piece of aluminum foil over the top the after 20 minutes to prevent over browning, don't cover tightly just lay it on top Bake 30-35 minutes.
- **** You can use regular yeast, I have not use it for this recipe but if I did I would proof the yeast in the warm water for 5-10 minutes then add the rest of the wet ingredients. You do not proof the instant yeast. also the vital wheat gluten is just something I use on occasion and it is totally optional, I think it makes a lighter loaf. You can also use regular wheat flour but I think the white wheat makes a lighter loaf. I have found that most wheat breads I make with regular wheat flour are somewhat tough in texture.