Roggenbrot (German Rye Hardbread)
How to Make Roggenbrot (German Rye Hardbread)
- Dissolve yeast into warm water. In a large bowl combine your milk, sugar, and you salt. Use your mixer to blend in molasses, butter, and yeast mixture and add 1 Cup of rye flour.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix in remaining rye flour. Add white flour, stirring until the dough is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead for 5 to 10 minutes with the heal of you hands. If the dough sticks to your hands or the board, sprinkle flour on the board or dough as needed.
- Place dough on floured board, put a warm damp cloth on top of dough rise from 1 to 1 1/2 hours or till double in size. Punch down the dough and divide to form 2 round loaves. Sprinkle cornmeal on the baking sheet or stone. Let the loaves rise on a cooking sheet or baking stone. If you are using bread pans lightly grease and dust with cornmeal. Let loaves rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375* Bake for 30-35 minutes. Take out and turn on to rack, brush the top with melted butter. Yields 2 loaves.