★★★★★ 1 vote5
3 cbread flour
1 crolled oats
1 1/4 cwater
1 pkgactive yeast
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 tspbaking powder
1/3 cmilk powder
·rolled oats to sprinkle on top
How to Make Oatmeal Bread
- In a medium bowl, temper the yeast in 1 1/4 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of sugar (no hotter than 110 degrees, no cooler than 105) for 10 mins
- While yeast is blooming, in a large mixer bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, salt, baking powder and milk powder. Using the dough hook, add in softened butter and then finally, yeast mix. Let mixer work bread until combined and a ball of dough begins to form
- On a lightly floured surface, turn the dough ball out and knead til elastic (you may need to moisten dough with a bit of water) -about 5-7 minutes. Bread will bounce back from an indented poke when it is ready.
- Oil a large bowl and put the dough ball into the bowl, rotating to cover all the surface of the dough with oil. Cover with a dry towel. Let the dough rise in a warm area. Tip: I put mine into my convection oven and tuck in a coffee mug that contains one cup of boiling water right next to the dough on the rack. The heated moisture helps with the rising action. Let the bread rise 1 hr - it will not be double in size, but u will definitely see the rise.
- Remove the bread from the rising area, turn it onto a lightly floured surface, punch it down and knead for 30 seconds. Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking spray. Form the dough into a loaf and put into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with a dusting of oatmeal. Cover with towel and return to your rising area. If using the tip I mentioned above, make sure to refresh your cup of water so that it is boiling again before u tuck it next to the loaf pan. Let bread rise for 35 mins. When you have 10 mins left in this rising cycle, start preheating oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 mins .. enjoy!