★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 pkgactive dry yeast
1/2 cwarm, almost hot water
1 1/2 cmilk, scalded
4 1/2 csifted flour
2 crolled oats (quick buckeye, raw)
How to Make Oatmeal Bread
- Sprinkle yeast in warm water. Set aside in warm place.
- Place shortening, salt and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Pour scalded milk over it. Stir until shortening melts; cool to lukewarm. Stir in 1 cup of flour. Add yeast in water and oats.
- Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out on a lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a bowl sprayed with vegetable spray, top down to coat with spray, and turned right side up again. Cover and let rise until double in bulk (90 minutes).
- Punch down and let rest (covered) 10 minutes. Form into 2 loaves and place in 2 greased loaf pans. Spray top with vegetable spray. Let rise in warm place for about 40 minutes.
- Bake in 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans immediately to cool on rack.