★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 1/2 c
- warm, almost hot water
- 1 1/2 c
- milk, scalded
- 4 1/2 c
- sifted flour
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 c
- 2 c
- rolled oats (quick buckeye, raw)
- 1/3 c
How to Make Oatmeal Bread
- 1Sprinkle yeast in warm water. Set aside in warm place.
- 2Place shortening, salt and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Pour scalded milk over it. Stir until shortening melts; cool to lukewarm. Stir in 1 cup of flour. Add yeast in water and oats.
- 3Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out on a lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes.
- 4Place dough in a bowl sprayed with vegetable spray, top down to coat with spray, and turned right side up again. Cover and let rise until double in bulk (90 minutes).
- 5Punch down and let rest (covered) 10 minutes. Form into 2 loaves and place in 2 greased loaf pans. Spray top with vegetable spray. Let rise in warm place for about 40 minutes.
- 6Bake in 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans immediately to cool on rack.