Mom's Crisp Whole Wheat Waffles
What mom does is double the recipe and put the leftovers in a ziplock bag and freeze. WAY better than Eggos!! To reheat from frozen, use an ungreased cookie sheet and put in a 400 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes, the microwave makes them soggy.
- 1 3/4 c
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil (or melted butter for better flavor)
- 2 c
- whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt (regular salt is fine to sub)
How to Make Mom's Crisp Whole Wheat Waffles
- 1Heat the waffle iron.
- 2Beat eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients in order just until batter is smooth.
- 3Pour batter from a cup or ladle into the center of heated waffle iron and close. Cook until steaming stops, usually about 5 minutes.
I like to set a timer for about 4 minutes and check doneness.
Makes about 3 10-inch waffles, but my waffle iron is mini and I forget to count.
- 4Optional, but yummy, sprinkle some sliced almonds over the batter before shutting the lid. Mmmmmm.
My favorite is a few slices fresh strawberries, handful of blueberries and half a banana sliced with a drizzle of maple syrup.