Kamut Buttermilk Bread Machine w/Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds
Sonia M. Trujillo
- 1 1/8 c
- 2 Tbsp
- walnut oil (our any vegetable oil you like)
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- honey (till it overflows a little over)
- 1 1/2 c
- kamut flour (bob's red mill)
- 1 1/2 c
- pillsbury bread flour (with ascorbic acid, a dough conditioner)
- 1 Tbsp
- vital wheat gluten (it makes a high-rising, light-textured loaf) i use the hodgson mill vital wheat gluten, since it comes fortified with vitamin c for extra punch)
- 1 1/8 tsp
- add some additional vital wheat gluten (since i am adding wheat and oat bran that can cut the gluten)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- wheat bran
- 1/4 tsp
- oat bran
- 1/8 tsp
- ginger (it helps with the rising of the bread; works very good with your yeast)
- 1/3 c
- mixed pumpkin and raw sunflower seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp
- active dry yeast
How to Make Kamut Buttermilk Bread Machine w/Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds
- 1Placed all the ingredients in the pan of your bread machine according to the order in your manufactures's instructions.
- 2Set crust according to your choice. I used dark but medium is recommended.
- 3Set your bread machine for 1.5 lbs.(loaf size)
- 4Set and program your bread machine for a basic or whole wheat cycle. (I use a basic cycle since it works better with my bread machine)
- 5This recipe it not suitable for use with a delay timer, since it uses fresh buttermilk. I use a light buttermilk for this recipe.
- 6Press start on your machine. Keep the pumpkin and the raw sunflower seeds when the bread machine beeps, between the knead 1 and knead 2. (In my bread machine it is during the knead 2)
- 7Keep an eye while the dough is forming during the knead 1. Use a rubber spatula for mixing the flour all together near the blade when going on with this cycle.
- 8Touch slightly the dough with your hands to see if it will need some extra teaspoons of water, since the kamut flour absorbs water very slowly and you may need to add some. If it is needed, just start adding 1 teaspoon at a time and check the dough. The dough must look soft but compact, not wet or sticky.
- 9Kamut flour turns your bread with a very unique delicious nutty, buttery, sweet taste. The crust color will be golden. If you don't have kamut flour at hand, you can always substitute it with an equal amount of whole wheat flour or spelt flour.
- 10When the machine beeps during the knead 2, add the seeds.
- 11The bread machine will keep with its cycles, rising periods and finally its baking time.
- 12When baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack. Let it cool to room temperature (almost for an hour) before slicing.
- 13After the bread has been cooled for 1 hr., I place it in a plastic bag slightly sealed (loosed). It keep my bread moist! I let it stand at the kitchen for awhile since it helps the bread with its freshness, moisture and softness.
- 14Kamut bread is really delicious! Enjoy this bread with your favorite butter or jelly. You can eat it for breakfast or dinner. Blessings!