Irish tea brack
- 300 ml cold tea
- 110 g sultanas
- 220 g currants or raisins
- 55 g chopped glacé cherries
- 55 g chopped mixed candied peel
- 200 g brown sugar
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- honey, for glazing (optional)
How to Make Irish tea brack
- 1Place the cold tea and whiskey in a bowl. Add in the sultanas, currants, glace cherries and mixed peel. Cover and set aside to soak overnight.
- 2Preheat the oven 350
- 3In a mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, self-raising flour, beaten egg, nutmeg and soaked fruit, with its soaking liquid until well-mixed.
- 4Transfer the mixture to a well-oiled loaf tin.
Bake for 1 hour, 30 minutes until risen and set.
- 5Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in its tin, then turn out and cool on a wire rack. Glaze with honey if required.
Serve in slices with butter and store in an airtight tin.