★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 5 lb
- bread flour
- 1 1/4 c
- 4 tsp
- 1 c
- milk, nonfat, dry
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 c
- water, warm (about 105-110°)
- eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 5 - 6 c
- hot roll mix
HOT ROLL MIX
How to Make Hot Roll Mix and Pan Rolls
- 1FOR HOT ROLL MIX: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together to distribute evenly.
Put in a large airtight container. Label as HOT ROLL MIX and store in a cool dry place. Use within 6 to 8 months.
Use in place of commercial hot roll mix, adding yeast to the recipe as specified below.
- 2FOR PAN ROLLS: In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Blend in eggs and oil or margarine. Add 5 cups Hot Roll Mix. Blend well. Add additional Hot Roll Mix to make a soft, but not too sticky dough. Knead about 5 minutes until dough is smooth.
- 3Lightly butter bowl. Put dough in bowl and turn to butter top. Cover dough with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 4Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan or two 9 inch, round pans. Punch down dough. Divide dough into 24 to 30 balls of equal size. Place balls in prepared pans. Brush with milk or melted butter. Cover and let rise again until doubled in bulk (about 30 to 40 minutes). Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.