Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls(quick!)
- 1/2 c
- warm water
- 1/4 c
- 2 pkg
- yeast(i use the rapid rise)
- 2-3 c
- whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 c
- ap flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 c
- buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1/4 c
- oil( butter, light olive oil, grapeseed oil)
- melted butter for brushing tops(optional)
How to Make Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls(quick!)
- 1Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet. Combine water, honey and yeast and set aside.
- 2In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together 2c of the whole wheat flour, the ap flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the yeast mixture, the buttermilk and the oil. Mix on low speed with dough hook, gradually adding enough remaining flour for dough to come together in a ball on the dough hook. Knead on low speed for 2 min., adding flour, if necessary, 1T at a time, to keep dough together. Remove bowl and cover with a towel. Let rest 10 min.
- 3Form into 24-30 balls** and place, sides touching, on baking tray. Cover again and let rest 15 min. Bake 12-15 min. until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, if desired.
- 4*Make sour milk by placing 1/2T of vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup, then adding milk to the 1/2c mark.
**You can also roll these out and cut them like biscuits, if you don't want to take time to form the dough into balls. They'll still taste like a roll, but look more like a biscuit.