FLOUR TORTILLAS HOMEMADE(SALLYE)
This is an easy recipe and is so, so good.
How to Make FLOUR TORTILLAS HOMEMADE(SALLYE)
- 1Sift flour and baking powder into mixing bowl
Add lard/butter to flour
Mix together with hands until it reaches a coarse meal consistency
- 2Dissolve sea salt into warm water
Drizzle water into flour and mix until soft dough forms
Add more warm water a tablespoon at time if needed to make dough come together.
Do not add too much water or tortillas will be rubbery
Form dough into ball, cover and set aside for 20 minutes
- 3When ready to cook, separate into 1" to 2" balls (depending on how large you want your tortillas)
Place waxed paper on both sides of balls and smash down evenly to desired size
Alternate: Use a tortilla press if you have one
- 4Preheat non-stick griddle or large heavy non-stick skillet to medium high heat
Note: I use a large West Bend electric non-stick griddle that will lhold 4 tortillas at a time.
Remove waxed paper and lay tortillas on the heated surface.
Cook about 1 to 2 minutes until just beginning to show brown spots.
Flip over and cook the other other side the same way.
Remove to a serving platter or tortilla warmer.
Best served while hot.
- 5NOTE: If you don't use all the tortillas now, the unused ones can be stored in the fridge in a ziplock bag for a week or so and used as necessary.
Just take out when needed, cover with a paper towel and zap in the microwave for about 20 seconds