Great Grandma's Stuffing
Always a family favorite to stuff that Thanksgiving Turkey, that roasting chicken or even pork chops.
I have also adjusted the recipe to incorporate the flavor of apples in the stuffing which adds a wonderful new flavor to the stuffing and the palate!
**This recipe will stuff a 12-15 pound Turkey. Adjust accordingly to the size of your bird or what is needed. For a bird over 20 pounds, double the recipe.
Cook time will also vary depending on your stuffed bird.
- 1 lb
- bacon, sliced
- 2 large
- onions, diced
- 1/2 bunch
- celery, sliced
- 1 large
- bag of white bread
- 2 large
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
- dried thyme
- 3 large
- macintosh apples, peeled cored and diced (optional)
How to Make Great Grandma's Stuffing
- 1Dice bacon and fry over low heat. *Note* You need the bacon fat. I have noticed lately that processed bacon has more water than the fat called for and sometimes find it necessary to add some diced up fat back into the pan to make up for it if I cannot get fresh smoked bacon.
- 2Add Celery and Onions to the bacon and cook saute until soft.
- 3In a bowl, take your bread pieces and break the slices into small pieces and slightly dampen.
*To dampen stick your finger tips in water and drip it on the bread and mix it up. do this about 3 or 4 times.
- 4Once dampened, add your eggs, salt, pepper, thyme, and you can also add the optional apples. My great grandmother made it without the apples, but it does taste great with the apples too.
- 5Once the bacon, onion and celery have cooked down, remove from heat and add it all including the fat to the bread mixture. Mix together well.
**ONLY STUFF YOUR BIRD WHEN IT IS READY TO GO INTO THE OVEN** (Instances of food poisoning happen when you stuff your bird before it is ready to go into the oven or the use of tainted ingredients)
- 6TIP: The stuffing mixture can be held in the refrigerator overnight. Remove it from the refrigerator and let it stand while you prepare your bird allowing it to get close to room temperature. This allows the stuffing to be the appropriate temperature necessary while roasting inside your bird.
This recipe will stuff a 12-15 lb turkey. Adjust according to the size of your bird. For a Bird over 20 lbs double this recipe.