Brown Sugar Oatmeal Bread
I have made this so many more times, some times I get a really light loaf, using the bread machine yeast. When I used the regular yeast it turned out into a heavy peasant type bread. I have also taken to sprinkling the bottom of the pans heavily with oats.
How to Make Brown Sugar Oatmeal Bread
- 1In med sized saucepan over high heat, bring 2c water to boiling. Gradually stir in 2c oats. Cook, stirring until thick, about 1 min. Remove pot from heat.
- 2Add 1/4c butter, the brown sugar and the salt. Stir until butter melts. Let the oat mix cool to lukewarm.
- 3In large mixing bowl,sprinkle yeast over warm water: stir until dissolved. Add oat mix & 3c flour, beat with a wooden spoon until smooth, about 2 mins. Using hands, gradually mix in 2c more flour, turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- 4Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in the remaining 1/2c flour. Dough will be stiff. Knead 10 mins longer.
- 5Place dough in a large greased bowl; turn to bring greased side up. Cover with waxed paper and then with a towel; let rise in a warm place, free from drafts until double in bulk, about one hour.
- 6Lightly grease 2- 9" x5" x2" loaf pans. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll out one half to a 12" x 8" rectangle; roll up dough; starting at narrow end. Press ends even: pinch to seal; tuck ends under loaf.
- 7Place loaf seam side down in prepared loaf pan. Repeat process with the other half of dough. Brush surface of dough lightly with 1 tbsp, melted butter and sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp. oats. Cover with a towel and let rise about 1 1/2 hrs. or until sides of dough come to the top of the pans.
- 8Preheat oven to 375. Place loaf pans on the middle rack of oven; bake for 50 mins or until crust is a deep golden brown. Turn bread out of pans onto wire racks; loaves should sound hollow when tapped on bottom with handle of wooden spoon. Let cool completely.