BROWN SUGAR AND OAT SCONES
Recipe & photo: slate.com
·oil or butter
1 1/2 call purpose flour, plus more more for rolling
3/4 crolled oats
1/4 cbrown sugar
2 tspbaking powder
1 1/4 tspcinnamon
1/2 c(8 tbsp.) cold unsalted butter
2/3 cheavy cream
1/2 tspvanilla extract
How to Make BROWN SUGAR AND OAT SCONES
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon.
- Add 7 Tbsp. of the butter and blend with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cream and vanilla and stir just until combined. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead 5 or 6 times.
- Transfer the dough to a greased baking sheet and roll or press it into an 8-inch circle. Melt the remaining 1 Tbsp. butter and brush the dough with it.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 tsp. cinnamon with the sugar and sprinkle it over the dough. Cut the dough into 8 equal wedges and separate them just enough that they no longer touch.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.